Monday, February 15, 2010

More of USATE/ A few other stuff for those non-chess playing readers:)

Rd 3: The Domino Theory

This round was not meant to be. As I mentioned in the previous post, this match had an element of psychological warfare. Last year, I lost to almost the identical team and wanted revenge. Paul wanted to show he was a solid board 1 as the team swapped him with Dylan McClain. On the other hand, that team, who is now 4-0 in contention for another title, wanted to not only be repeat winners but to prove Dylan was a good board 1.

Out of the opening, I got a slightly better position against Brian Hulse. Then, I failed to abide by simple chess fundamentals and instead of making a simple developing move, went for complications and outright hung a rook- a disaster, yet one of my common problems in chess, going into complications when I don't have to. Heres the horrendous "blunderful" game



So, this is where my domino theory comes into affect: Ok, its not mine, its Eisenhower's against the Commies in 1954, but Ill adapt it to a chess team. One player blunders, the rest of his teammates blunder

After I made this blunder, David fell for a nice trick, in which Libardo Rueda won his queen so things weren't looking good for "Lordy Lordy I can't believe she's 40". If we wanted to just tie the match, both Nick and Paul needed to win. Paul had a considerable advantage out of an advanced- Caro Kann but Dylan defended well and built up significant counter-play. At this point Dylan offered Paul a draw and I can't blame him for declining it as taking it would basically be resigning the match. Unfortunately, Dylan's counter-play turned the tables and ended the game in Dylan's favor.

The "domino theory" did not effect all of us though- Nick ended up turning the tables in his own game. Most of the game he had an equalish but cramped position and we figured the game would just cater out to a draw; however, in the end Nick ended up winning a pawn and the game.

Rd 4: Boston/NY United vs New York

It was my team of two Bostonians and two NYers against 4 New Yorkers. I happened to play 3/4 of our opposing team in New York, two of them multiple times.

The first game to finish was Paul's against Nicholas Ryba, a fellow expert from New York, that I do not have a great score against. Paul played a symmetrical English and ultimately couldn't manage to win..... Happens sometimes when white is playing for a draw from the start.

Next, Nick took his opponent to London and Plotkin also won a nice game with black. At the point, the match was already decided as we had 2.5/3 but I told him to play it out for a while since if we want a chance to place in the top 5, we would need excellent tiebreaks.

In my game against Loren Weiss. In a Rubinstein French, Weiss had double f-pawns and we exchanged queens rather quickly. Ultimately, it was a long technical endgame, which led to a bishop ending where my outside past pawn and his week f pawns proved decisive:


Rd 5: Third team in a Row that I knew!

I dont know about you all but I don't particularly like it when I pay to travel to a chess tournament and end up playing a bunch of players that I am friends with... Well in this tournament, in rounds 3-5 we played three teams that I am friendly with... THis time around it was Dale Sharp, the two Quistorffs, and Alexander Katz on board 3. I slept a little late and had to check out so I ended up coming to the board 40 minutes late: a typical last day morning round...

I played the Caro-Kann for the first time in about a year as I knew Kim almost exclusively plays the advanced variation; however, sure enough he outsmarted me and played the classical for supposably the first time in his life! 7 moves went by and Kim offered me a draw. I saw Nick and Paul were winning and I was kind of tired so I figured it couldn't hurt to take a draw.. As I just started writing this post, I was talking to Leif Pressman on AIM and he told me I was crazy for taking a draw so early and I told him it only made sense as it basically guaranteed us the match point. In addition, I knew Kim is a pretty sol.d players Then he answered since we weren't any longer in contention to win the tournament, I should just play chess..... anyways to each is own.. What do you all think of taking draws for the team? When to do it , when to not?

Sure enough Nick and Paul both won and David ended up drawing by the time the match was already clinched in our favor. So there's one game to go... Hopefully we can win and tie for 3rd, even better if we can actually place in the top 5 on tiebreaks. Expect a post later as a wrap up..

No I didn't forget:: Nows heres the few other non- chess stuff:

1) Study Abroad Update: I submitted the application last night- Tel Aviv in the Spring of 2011: Here I come!!

2) http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1142653.html : Fascinating Article on an Israeli man who was charged on accounts of Polygamy. Just the other day in Introduction to Anthropology, we had to read an essay about the Kung! in the Kalahari Dessert where it is legal to have more than one wife, so I found this article particularly interesting. What do you think of multiple wives in other countries? Is it unethical? Should we in the US or those in Israel, where polygamy is illegal be able to judge the Kung! for their laws?
3) NY Tonight!: So Im leaving to NY tonight.. Got a long week of chess ahead... NY Masters tomorrow night, Bankers League Match Thursday night, possibly g/30 on Saturday... but best of all CLAPTON AND BECK FRIDAY NIGHT!

1 comment:

  1. Benoni is Dead!

    2) Grischuk,A (2736) - Gashimov,V (2759) [A62]
    XXVII SuperGM Linares ESP (8), 21.02.2010

    1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 c5 4.d5 d6 5.Nc3 exd5 6.cxd5 g6 7.g3 Bg7 8.Bg2 0-0 9.0-0 Re8 10.Bf4 Na6 11.Re1 Bg4 12.Qb3 Nh5 13.Bg5 Qd7 14.Nd2 h6 15.Be3 Bf5 16.Nc4 Nb4 17.Rac1 Rab8 18.a4 b6 19.Nb5 Bf8 20.Bd2 a6 21.Nbxd6 b5 22.Nxe8 bxc4 23.Qxc4 Rxe8 24.Bxb4 cxb4 25.e4 Bg4 26.e5 Qf5 27.e6 fxe6 28.dxe6 Be7 29.f3 Bh3 30.g4 Qg5 31.Bxh3 Nf4 32.Bf1 Rf8 33.Qc7 h5 34.Qe5 Qh4 35.Re4 Nh3+ 36.Bxh3 Qxh3 37.Qg3 hxg4 38.Qxh3 gxh3 39.Kf2 Rd8 40.Ke2 1-0

    ReplyDelete