Saturday, April 10, 2010

Yom Hashoah Shabbat Dinner/ BCC $10 Open

Shabbat Dinner

Last night, I went to an interesting Yom Hashoah commemoration Shabbat dinner at Temple Beth Zion in Brookline. It is a unique temple, who consider themselves "unorthodox" and specifically non-reform. Too be honest I did not realize much of a difference of there and a reform Schul but it was certainly an interesting experience. People played instruments and it was an upbeat service. `

It was co-organized by Boston 3G and Birthright Israel Next. If you don't know what 3G is, that is normal as I didn't know what it was before last night either.. Its a group of young Jewish professionals whose grandparents are survivors of the Holocaust. Several of 3G members gave touching accounts about their grandparents' survival stories. One story that particularly intrigued me was when of the members accounted how her grandmother and 3 sisters, who all survived the Holcaust together had about 80 children overall.. I learned the Jews in reality lost more than 6 Million people as they could not reproduce.. May they be remembered.

BCC Underwater $10 Open

On a much better note, I played pretty well at the Boylston today and am still a master! I beat two 1800s, and evened my lifetime score against Lawyer Times, which is now 1.5-1.5. I being the only 3-0 was paired against Denys Shmelov, who had 2.5 as he took a round 1 bye.. I played Denys 3 times now,, all losses with black.. Maybe eventually I could play white against him once:)

Note to self: Be careful when preparing for your opponents as to they are not directly behind you:

I was preparing for Denys, looking at one of his losses against Ippolito in the US Chess League last year. I was using my Ipod to see the moves and making them on the chess board, completely oblivious to the fact that Denys was right behind me:).. Sure enough, he walked right into the same line he lost to Ippolito in and I won the game! ... No, more like instead of 1.d4 nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 allowing the Nimzo Indian, he played the Catalan:



So overall it was a decent tournament... I tied for 2nd with a fellow (alumni) Brandeisian Steven Winer.

No comments:

Post a Comment