Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Quick WIEF Review and more of Kuala Lumpur

I would like to start off this post with an apology to any loyal readers as I admit I've been pretty lame in updating my blog about my trip. I have only done one real post about it since I've been abroad... Anyways, Ill make up for it up in the next few posts.

Wow- in the last two weeks I have been in about the same number of countries than the amount of other countries Ive been to in my lifetime.

WIEF Conference


The WIEF was a unique experience for me. I have met many Islamic people in the past and learned about their culture and religion but never really learned about their economic interests and goals. Here a three key concepts or frames of concepts I appreciated.

1) Emic(those of the inside viewer) vs Etic Tensions(those of the outside viewer: Considering about 85% of my anthro course was discussing these, I figured i should give a few examples of these I came across during the seminar

a) Dr Amhed Mohamed Ali (President of the Islamic Development Bank)

Foreign Forces in Afghanistan: Etic "peacekeepers", Emic "occupational forces"

b) Natalie Day (Atlas of Islamic World Science and Innovation Project based in United Kingdom)

Science: Emic "ease" vs Etic "tensions"

c) Prof. Datin Paduka Dr. Khatijah Bt Mohd Yusoff (Deputy Science General in Malaysia)



Spilled glass of Milk: Western emic: a learning experience vs Eastern Emic: a wacking

2) Importance of Innovation in Business:

a) Tan Sri Zarinah Anwar(Chairman of the Securities Commision in Malaysia)


Innovation= Human Capital+Research/Development= Value Added


b)Dr. Halil Kulluk (Chairman,Intekno Group of Companies, Turkey)

-Requirements for Innovation: technology, talent, tolerance
-"You can have innovation without branding but you can't have branding without innovation" - Companies must be innovative in their branding in order for it to be successful in the long run.

3)Expanding Halal[and Kosher] markets to non-Muslims [and non-Jews]

Dato' Seri Jamil Bidin (CEO of the Halal Industry Development Corporation, Malaysia)

-Halal: more than just food- also part of many other aspects of life,e.g, finance, cosmetics, drugs, insurance
- Islamic Finance: something I need to learn more about, from what I learned already:No interest rates:no concept of present value
-Reasons for Halal:wholesomeness, quality, clean,assurance,
-expansion to non-muslims: Halal food currently worth $1.3 trillion in the US
My own input: Kosher companies can also market to non-Jews for extra revenue as many already do and more will also consume kosher products solely because they know they are healthy and of high quality

Here's a few interesting photos I took around Kuala Lumpar:

Frangipani:one of the "best" restaurants in KL

The restaurant certainly did look nice but I didn't particularly care for the food.

A reggae bar featuring the late Bob Marley

Another Example of Glocalization: Seaweed Pringles



a Malaysian fast food restaurant: Marybrown



A chess set in one of the few non-western stores in one of KL's biggest malls next to the Petronis towers

1 comment:

  1. awesome... it is good to have this kind of enriching experience...

    ReplyDelete