Sunday, May 30, 2010

Rabin's visits to Vietnam and Phnom Penh, Cambodia

The last few days have been fun but rather exhausting. Almost every day I have told myself I would do a blog post at night as I have so much to write about but each night I have ended up konking out,putting off posts to later. On the bright side, here I am in the Siem Reap Hostel's computer lounge writing this post which will be more like a photo gallery with entertaining captions.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam: Fun,education and harassment from street vendors

Culture Shock #1: Amount of Motorbikes on the road


Good ice cream spot in District 1 of HCMC


Freedom from the French:Independence Palace


Catering to differing cultures: Asian and American Dining under one roof



"And it's one, two, three,What are we fighting for ?Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam"(I feel like Im Fixin' to die rag by Country Joe and the Fish)
-unnecessary US involvement in Vietnam-American subsidized helicopter



Handicapped veterans in the workforce:Handcraft Factory


Live salsa band playing some great Santana covers at one of HCMC's most famous hotels the Caravelle



The Buffalo Bar: an extremely visually appealing club that turned out to be almost empty


Tour of Cambodia:Adventures in Phnom Penh,Battambang and Siem Reap

In and Around Phnom Penh

My temporary office on a bus to Phnom Penh:analyzing my games from a tournament I played in HCMC with a set the organizers gave me


More culture shock: Bugs for sale on the ferry the bus went on on the way to PP: Question- Are fried bugs kosher?



The tuktuk: the best(cheapest)way to get around town- negotiating from a few dollars to less dollars

*Side note:On my anthropology final I wrote about Tuktuks as a defense to globalization as it is one example of a good that was founded in the East and brought to western nations diverse as the UK, Netherlands and Guatemala.

Remembering the "Cambodian Holocaust",the Khmer Rouge: Skeletons at the Coeung Ek Genocidal Center

://4.bp.blogspot.com/_A6Wx9VjG8wk/TAJZ6wmgcyI/AAAAAAAAANM/D-ayN49QVNs/s400/P1030082.JPG" border="0" alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5477038962849641250" />

Chinese/Communist influence: Mao Tse Toung Blvd



Divine powers in the temples of the Royal Palace in Phnom Penh



Am Yisrael Chai!:Israeli flag in PP!


"There she was right a-walkin' down the street, Singin', Do wah Diddy diddy dumm Diddy" do: That's right- an elephant walking along the sidewalk!


That's all for now. I am waking up at 4am(4 am!) tomorrow to visit Angor Wat tomorrow. Ill post Battambang and Siem Reap pics soon. I am flying back to the US from Singapore on Tuesday and we are not exactly sure of our plan until then. We are debating how long to stay here and whether or not to go to Bangkok before flying to Singapore. It is safe now but flights are expensive and I don't particularly want to take a 9 hour bus ride.. Any advice?











4 comments:

  1. When you going to Malaysia loser?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there last week-see my post before this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!!!!!!!ILY MOM
    How do u select profile?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hostels are a terrific resource for young travelers.

    Albergue Da Juventude

    ReplyDelete