Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I'm going to be a businessman!

IBS: Here, I come!


I got an email yesterday from Professor Bayone, the head of the Brandeis Undergraduate Business Department that I got accepted into the first annual class of the Brandeis Business major! To do so, I had to show them my resume and write an essay about a challenging task I had to deal with either on a job or in a extracurricular activity. I wrote about how I needed to market the aloevera juice that I sold two summers ago.

With that in mind, there's not much happening in Pottstown. The camp is fine, with only slightly more than a dozen campers, but there isn't a whole lot to do at night. Last night, when I was at the laundromat, I figured I would read up on the business section of The Mercury, the local Pottstown newspaper.

I came across two interesting articles. The first one was about a new start up company Cupditino, which is a dating website recently founded by Mel Sampat. He creatively used Apple as a marketing tool, realizing Mac users around the world actually have much in common and would likely make good couples.

The other article I found interesting was how the market leader in English muffin sales Thomas recently sued Chris Botticella for giving secrets about the product's recipe to one of the company's greatest rivals Hostess.

Botticella was one of the seven Thomas executives who knew the formula and recently obtained a job offer at Hostess. THe other Thomas executives does not want him to switch jobs. I think it depends on the terms of his contract at Thomas, but either way it is interesting to note whether or not he will be able to go to Hostess. If he does and gives them the formula. Thomas may no longer be the market leader in years to come if Hostess can produce English Muffins as well.

1 comment: