Monday, February 6, 2012

A Game of Pure Comedy at the Brown University Open

On Saturday I played in the 2012 Brown University Open in Providence, RI.  The Brown Student Erdenetulga Rentsen and the young master Christopher Gu topped the open section each scoring 3.5/4. To the contrary, I had a mediocre performance scoring 2/4 against a 1700 and 3 relatively strong masters.

A normal blogger would show you one of my games against the masters, but that's not me.. Instead I am going to show your my first round madness, where my opponent and I shared a large mental lapse.
Out of the opening I obtained a large opening advantage and ended up winning a piece. Afterwards, my opponent shockingly castled queenside immediately, with my bishop being on Bg5 attacking the d8 square.   Yes, I do teach beginners that they can't castle through check. However, I did not think of it being illegal at the time and quickly took his rook on d8. As he was now a down a clear rook, he resigned a few moves later...... Not too make a silly excuse for such a silly mutual mistake, but a few years ago when playing an IM in New York ( I won't mention the name to save face), he tried to castle after he already moved his king. So I'm not the only one to miss simple illegal moves!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Evan, I am a long time blogger (link, sec), and now run the WOCC blog. If you care to provide a note, good, bad, indifferent, I will gladly publish it. My interest is constructive. David Korn (PS if it helps any as far as letting you know I not totally foolish, GM Seirawan is very good friend, having met with him regularly in the last ten years, socially. After twenty long years, I left Seattle for New Jersey).

    link: 02, 2012
    Lev's Match at ICC: Defends his Zilbermintz Gambit
    .

    my ICC Transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://westorangechessclub.blogspot.com/2012/02/levs-match-at-icc-defends-his.html

    i tried to put the embedded link there, does not seem to show, so provided thus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My old blog, Chess Improvement, linked thus, once a top blog, now inactive (but not closed). David Korn

    ReplyDelete