Sunday, July 26, 2015

Bombino, Young Fathers and Fantastic Negrito at Central Park SummerStage on 7/25!

Yesterday I visited Central Park's SummerStage for a free Bombino/Young Fathers show. Fantastic Negrito was the opener. I could not help but reminisce of the last time I was at SummerStage for a Phil and Friends show in May of 2014.

Fantastic Negrito, an up and coming singer from Oakland, CA  was the first act. For the most part, his band was a good African style rock band. Their song "Night has Turned to Day" actually reminded me of Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. Similarly to how Sharon  Jones shared her experience of overcoming pancreatic cancer, Fantastic Negrito described how he woke up after a coma.  A few of the band's songs were unnecessarily too loud, but overall it was a great set. They'd be a welcome addition to a festival yesterday. At the end of the show, Fantastic Negrito shared how just one year ago he was playing for tips at Washington Park in Oakland (not to be confused for Washington Square Park in NY, as I was at first:), he was playing for a large crowd in Central Park on a double bill with Bombino. 

Fantastic Negrito's Guitarist:  I'm a sucker for Rickenbacker guitars 
Fantastic Negrito and I after his set! 

I honestly thought the second band Young Fathers was pretty lackluster. It is made up  of three singers and one drummer. I am not into hip-hop that much; however it wasn't just the genre. The band's volume was way too many octaves high for no reason.



with my chess friends Leif and Nathan (both Fide Masters) in between bands
.I haven't heard of Bombino before Summerstage announced its line up, but the fact that his biography mentioned Hendrix and Knopfler influences, I figured I'd check his band out!  With a style that bridged African music, jam bands and blues, his band far exceeded my expectations. Bombino started almost every song with a cool riff or solo.  


Bambino's back up guitarist pulled of some Derek Trucks slide solos! 

Bambino's bassist with pink strings! 

Bow after the encore! 

Photo op with Bombino after the show! 

No comments:

Post a Comment