Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Prelude to Days Between with Playing Dead, 7/29-7/30!

Deadheads around the world are commemorating "Days Between", the days between Jerry's birthday, August 1 and death day, August 8th.

 As a prelude to Days Between, I attended the two night run, New England's premier Dead tribute band Playing Dead July 29th-30th. On the 29th, the band did its annual Jerry Garcia Memorial River Run and Show. On the 30th, it did its annual "Ship of Fools" on the Bashtan Harbah. 

With my Friend Audrey
I missed the first few songs of the 29th show and came in during the middle of "Next Time You See Me". We then got a countryesque Johnny Cash cover "Big River". The set featured several other Dead hits that have been popular in the latest Dead and Company tour, including" Ramble on Rose", "Jack Straw" and "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad". 

The band also did some lesser known hits like" Roadrunner" to commemorate the runners who completed the race earlier in the evening. 

The highlight of the set for me was the Stevie Winwood "Gimme Some Lovin" cover, which featured ex-DSO guitarist Jimbo Harris on lead vocals. I had flashbacks to September 21, 2014 Phil Lesh and Friends show when Phil and friends, including Warren Haynes, did a nice version of "Low Sparks of High Heeled Boys", which features one of my favorite bass lines of all time.  

After the fast-paced, upbeat "Sugar Magnolia"set closer, I walked out during the "U.S Blues" encore. Too bad I had to leave show a little early but had work the next day and another night of Playing Dead to look forward to afterwards.  

Night 2 of this mini run was borderline utopia. Couldn't think of a much better way to spend a Friday night than hearing Dead music and lots of soloing on a boat on the Boston Harbor with new and old friends.
Jamming on the Boat!

With my Friends Caitlin and Connor! 
As the boat rocked people back and forth a bit, everyone was dancing during the somwhat predictable but excellent "Shakedown Street" opener.  

Lead guitarist Vic DeRobertis shredded as he always does during "Deal". 

I was happy when I heard "Midnight Hour" for the first time in a while. It's a song that Further used to play often. 

The set ended with a bang of "Bertha", which led into the "One More Saturday Night" encore. This choice did actually take me by surprise a bit as it was a Friday night. You may remember from my Dead and Company Fenway Run review, that the Saturday night encore was my one bit of criticism: 


Overall, the run was a blast; looking forward to more Playing Dead shows in the future. Stay tuned for reviews of Australian Pink Floyd and Hot Tuna shows in Boston this weekend ahead! 

No comments:

Post a Comment